~Hilltop Farm Forum~

Anything and Everything Poultry, Small Animals, Livestock, Gardening and more. Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets, etc. For Sale And Want Ads. Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your comments or, Or Just Chat!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to ~Hilltop Farm Forum~
Click for events ---> Buy/Sell/Swap/Trade/Shows/Events Click for listings ---> Chicken Swap of Florida
Facebook, Florida Farm Swap Meets (Georgia too now)
Rose Comb Rhode Island White facebook page

Adverts

Adverts

#1 August-11-2010 1:21:am

Country Gal
Administrator

Starting Seeds

In this section of our forum is for members to discuss starting seeds. On our farm we start all of our plants from seeds.

Gardeners may use a variety of means to cope with their growing season depending on the area where they live. When the last frost might arrive as late as May or early June, seed planting must be delayed also. With some quick-growing plants, this isn't too much of a problem, but many vegetables and ornamentals will benefit greatly from a little head start. Starting seeds indoors can be an imperative for certain plants in particular climates. Taking into consideration where we reside and when the last frost usually arrives, and getting an early start can make a big difference since some plants require a longer germination period and have a longer growing season to harvest.

Starting plants from seed is a great, inexpensive way to get exactly the plant varieties you want to grow. Starting seeds indoors requires the same basic elements as growing plants outdoors: Light, Seeds, Soil, Water, and Food.

Here are the basics of what you'll need to get your garden seeds started:
1. Containers - Either purchased pots or flats or containers you've saved, like egg cartons and yogurt cups. Used pots should be cleaned and disinfected by soaking in 1 part bleach to 10 parts water.

2. Potting Mix - Seeds do best in a soilless mix where there are fewer problems than with garden soil

3. Seeds - Your choice

4. Labels/markers - Trust me, you won't remember what's what

5. Plastic Bags or Covers - These will trap warmth and humidity where the seeds need it

6. Water

7. Light Source - If you don't have a bright window, you will need some kind of florescent or high density plant light

When should you start seeds indoors? That depends on the type of seed and the last expected frost date for your area. Frost dates are averages and are given as a range of dates. Once you know your last expected frost date, your seed package should tell you how many weeks ahead you should start the seeds. Count back from the last expected frost date for each type of seed you are planting and you'll have a planting schedule.

Starting plants from seeds. Here are seed starting tips to give you a slight edge at planting time.
1. Soaking hard coated seeds in water, before planting, softens the coating and improves germination. Recent studies suggest that soaking them overnight in compost tea not only softens the coating, but also gives them a boost in growth and in disease resistance. It's worth a try.

2. If you have large seeds left over from last year, like peas and beans, an easy way to test for their viability is to fill a shallow pan with water and pour the seeds in. If they sink, they're fine. If they float, toss them just like eggs.

HEY LOOK!!! :< UPCOMING FLORIDA Swaps/Sales/Shows/Events
Pure Single Comb & Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds, Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites & Leghorns
Member of the American Poultry Association, Rhode Island Red Club of America
Central Florida Poultry Breeders Association, NPIP Certified Participant

August-11-2010 1:21:am

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 December-31-2010 12:16:pm

becky3086
Not too shy to talk

Re: Starting Seeds

I just barely started some tomatoes, peppers and kale yesterday! I'm in Georgia so if I don't start now they won't be big enough by spring.

#3 December-31-2010 4:42:pm

Country Gal
Administrator

I have some tomatoes and peppers but with the cold weather we have had they haven't grown much lately. Here are some pics of our tomatoes which are in our green house and onions and lettuce we have planted.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/aliedaw1/IMG_2722.jpg http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/aliedaw1/IMG_2721.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/aliedaw1/IMG_2717.jpg http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/aliedaw1/IMG_2720.jpg

Pure Single Comb & Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds, Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites & Leghorns

#4 December-31-2010 6:20:pm

becky3086
Not too shy to talk

I would give a lot to have a really big garden but have to make do with a couple of small ones and any raised beds I can make.

#5 September-2-2014 3:30:am

thomasfencinginc
Not too shy to talk

Looking for a local supplier for seeds in this area other than Walmart.  Are there any feed stores that sell bulk seed?

#6 September-2-2014 11:39:pm

Country Gal
Administrator

There is a feed store down the road from me that sells seed bulk in Dunnellon Gunters and in Crystal River there is American Feed.

#7 September-3-2014 3:26:am

thomasfencinginc
Not too shy to talk

I will definitely check them out, thank you.

Adverts

Board footer